The Country Club of Scranton History
As the Country Club of Scranton continues into its second 100 years, we pause to reflect on its inception and subsequent storied history, for ours is a Club with a long and proud tradition. Incorporated in 1896, the course was first located in the Green Ridge section of Scranton at the North end of Washington Avenue.
In 1925 a 300 acre tract of land was purchased along the Morgan Highway in Clarks Summit and in 1927 an 18 hole course was constructed by the famous golfer and architect, Walter J. Travis. The magnificent clubhouse is one of the many local buildings designed by our own George M.D.Lewis.
Between 1959 and 1973, 84.55 acres of land were purchased with the intent of adding both a driving range and an additional nine holes of golf to better serve our membership.
In the Fall of 1988, the membership approved the construction of the additional nine holes of golf to better serve our membership. With Dr. Michael Hurdzan as the architect, construction of the "New Nine" began in March 1989 and was completed in the Fall of 1990. The course itself opened for play in the Spring of 1991, and together with the original 18 hole layout, provides one of the finest golf facilities in Pennsylvania.
The Old Course was the site of the 1939 and 1940 Anthracite Open. The leading golfers of that era participated along with some of our local favorites. Included among them were Henry Picard, 1939 Champion; Sam Snead, 1940 Champion; Byron Nelson, Gene Sarazen, Felix Serafin and our own Mike Terescavage who served as the Club's Locker Room Manager. The Pennsylvania State Women's Golf Championship was also held at the Club in June of 1940, when club member Mary Fine was runner-up to Helen Sigel of Philadelphia Country Club.
The Club is extremely proud of the late Honorary Member Art Wall, Jr., the winner of 14 PGA Tour Events, including the prestigious Masters Championship in 1959. Through Art's efforts, the Pro-Amateur Tournament was initiated in 1970 and, except for a brief hiatus from 1979 to 1981, was held annually for many years. Charles Coody shot a 63 during the Pro-Am event on August 1,1977, which was a course record for tournament competition. However the unofficial record is held by Art Wall Jr., who registered a 62 on June 28,1964.
The Country Club of Scranton was also proud to host the 76th Ping Pennsylvania Open Championship in 1992, the Pennsylvania Amateur Championship in 1997 and 2003, the Pennsylvania Women's Golf Association Championship in 1999 and the Local Qualifying for the U.S. Open Championship in May of 2003.
One of the most important amateur tournaments in Northeastern Pennsylvania , held over three days, is the Country Club of Scranton Memorial Member/Guest Tournament. This year's event will be held on July 23, 24 and 25, 2010 and remains the Donald T. Nolan Memorial in honor of the former Director and Golf Chairman who passed away in December 1996.