The Country Club of Scranton Golf
The Country Club of Scranton’s golf course has been affectionately referred to as the “Jewel of Northeastern Pennsylvania,” and Bob Ford, Head Golf Professional at Oakmont Country Club, once was quoted as saying that our greens were the second best he had played, ranking them only behind those at his highly regarded home course.
The Club’s original 18-hole course was designed by the famous Golf Course Architect Walter Travis in 1927. The “New Nine,” as it was named, was designed by Dr. Michael Hurdzan in 1988 and, like the original course, is best known for its large undulating greens. The three nines, appropriately named the Pines, Willows and Falls, combine to make three eighteen-hole courses, the Old, North, and South. Each nine offers a wide variety of challenges but each is still forgiving in its own way, which makes the course attractive to both low- and high-handicaps players alike.
The Country Club of Scranton played host to the Pennsylvania Amateur Championship in 1997 and 2003, as well as the Pennsylvania State Women's Golf Association Championship in 1999. The facility includes 27 championship holes of golf, a large multi-tiered putting green, a practice range with target greens, a pitching and chipping area, and an on-site professional golf staff.